Saturday 1 June 2013

Tiny Bereavements


So if you haven’t gathered, I’m finding this year traumatic.  In the autumn my three children and I will each be making new starts in universities scattered across the UK, but right now is a time of endings.  I believe in savouring the moment so I’m experiencing a hundred tiny bereavements. 

Pascoe is pubbing, gigging and barbecuing through his last few days at UEA and soon Nigel and I will drive over and move him out, but he’s been in his house two years so stuff has accumulated.  I am making a preliminary trip to remove the first load.

At least, that’s what I said I was doing.  But actually I need to take my leave. 

Ten minutes ago, I went to the first UEA open day in simmering sunshine.  Five minutes ago I went to the follow-up  day when it snowed and the drive home was skiddy and terrifying.   

I had thought  I would visit Norwich dozens of times.  But I didn’t do enough of that – something about giving Pascoe space, something about the fact that he settled in brilliantly.

After tackling the horrors of the slightly weird smelling student house, Pascoe and I go to campus and the Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts which once blew my mind when I was only nineteen and I visited my dear friend Fiona at UEA.  Pascoe and I marvel at the skeleton of a minkie whale covered in alum crystals.    Then we round off with a final stroll around The Broad, the lake, fringed with spring flowers. 

Thanks Pascoe – I now have a degree of closure.

 

Drolls and Weirds - Robert had heard stories of beautiful fairy children reared by humans - they were called changelings - But of course, he did not believe in them. Read the latest chapter of my story of love and mystery set in Cornwall by clicking here. Or read from the start.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment