Thursday 31 January 2019

Better than Snow


Better than snow.
I was due a snow day. 
I had planned it very carefully. 
Tuesday night snow was forecast. 
There should have been several centimeters, all nicely frozen and turning the whole world into an ice rink. 
Wednesday was my day for teaching in a school which is dependent on buses and cars to transport its pupils in, and hence vulnerable to bad weather. 
Not only that, but I am one session ahead there, so if snow had closed the school, I would not even have had to catch up on work.
Yes sireee, Wednesday morning, I was planning to be returning to my warm bed with a mug of steaming coffee.
Imagine my desolation when, in my town, snow failed.  I looked out of my window and found myself hating the colour green.
 And not only did I have to go to school, but to add insult to injury, my exercise class too!
This Thursday, I am at home, so I didn’t care about the weather forecast.
Except when I looked out, there was a magical hoar frost, outlining every leaf and twig with white crystals.
I pulled on my boots and went for a walk. 
The zing of cold air and the gleaming transformation of the frosted countryside lifted my spirits.
By the pond, I spotted bullfinches and a rare water rail.
I could even get over missing my snow day.  Almost.







No comments:

Post a Comment