Thursday 27 June 2019

Paper magnet

I am a paper magnet. I don't mean a newspaper magnate like Rupert Murdoch. I mean a paper magnet. 

Paper loves me. It is attracted to me and finds its rustly way into every pocket and bag.

Partly it is my fault. I enter second hand bookshops voluntarily.  I treasure the days when I discover that an elderly clergyman has died and his family has shipped out his entire collection of Latin and Greek to Oxfam. I don't feel bad about it. It must be similar to how he built the collection in the first place.

However, recently I decided I was being overwhelmed by paper. I decided to go paperless for work admin. It cuts out filing - something I truly hate. I also use a Kindle and Audible for leisure reading. 

However, books still seek me out. 
After conversations I can't remember, people lend me books . I am too polite to return them unread. So they teeter perilously on my bedside table. 

Recently I was one of the finalists in a Curtis Brown Twitter competition.  What was the prize? Yes. Kate Hamer's latest book. I also won a prize in a free raffle which I did not even choose to enter. A book.

Maybe I should seek professional help. Except I'm not a hoarder. It really is not my fault. Paper just loves me!

No comments:

Post a Comment