Tuesday 20 August 2019

Lunar eclipse with badgers


Fiona and I had just been for a twilight walk along the river at St Clements and I was dropping her off at her house when I suddenly remembered,
“Ooh, there’s a lunar eclipse tonight, starting around now…I thought we might watch it together.”
“Can’t see anything here – too many trees.”
“So no holding hands in the moonlight?”
“Nope.  Sling your hook.”

So I drove back to my parents’ house, dived in to tell them I’d returned, then back out to the garden to look at the eclipse.  It reminded me of an orange smiley mouth glowing benignly over the town.

Then I noticed that something was coming towards me up the drive.
A cat?
Not unless it was a cat that had been body building.

I realised that I was being approached by my father’s arch enemy, The Badger.  The badger has for years dug up my father’s seedlings because where he watered the soil, it attracted delicious worms.
The handsome yet rather large animal caught me by surprise and I let out an involuntary shriek.  The badger hesitated, then in a leisurely manner, turned and trundled off back down the drive.

Meanwhile, the eclipse was continuing spectacular.  I Whatsapped my family who live in the South to go look.  Nigel ventured outside the pub in St Albans and texted back “Lovely”

But Perran and Carenza were so excited at the prospect of an eclipse, that they ran out into their gritty London street, Carenza without shoes, but reported,
“Oh no, can’t see.  There’s low cloud in London.”

“Never mind that,” I replied, “There’s bloody badgers in Cornwall.”

No comments:

Post a Comment