Tuesday 10 September 2019

Extinction Rebellion


A really potent army recruitment poster of 1915 had a child asking his father, “Daddy, what did YOU do in the Great War?”

There is nothing more powerful than the thought that we will be called to account for our actions.  Especially if it our own children and grandchildren who are suffering as a result. 

So Nigel and I joined Extinction Rebellion.  It’s not like we have an excess of spare time or a shortage of hobbies.  It just seems incredibly urgent.

Many people would like to carry on the way we are - "If we ignore climate change, maybe it'll go away." Plus there is a strong mesh of business interests which does not want us to consume fewer resources. 

However, I have studied history and archaeology and I know that mighty civilisations like ours have fallen and that sometimes it has been for environmental reasons.

It is devastatingly inaccurate for us Brits to say, "We'll be okay." 
Actually global climate crisis will affect all of us. The millions who are being drowned and scorched will strive for survival. Society will break down on an unprecedented level.

Ours is the last generation that can prevent this. I am haunted by the vision of my someday grandchildren asking me what I did to ensure the planet was habitable for them. I want to have some sort of answer for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment