Thursday 21 November 2019

The Impossible Dream

I hanker after a little place in Cornwall. However, it is a complex category of dream since we don't have the money and we don't actually believe it's the right thing to do.

Yet, my vague wish for a pied a terre in my homeland of Cornwall remains since it is an emotional impulse, not a logical one. In Welsh and Cornish there is a term 'hireth' which means something like 'the longing for one's homeland'.

Partly it is the love of my homeland which tells me I should not aspire to a second home there. It is to snatch a dwelling from a young family who might make their lives there and contribute to the economy.

But this week a huge chunk of logic was also added to the scales. I had to be home to open the door to tradesmen to repair a broken window, a leaky roof and a blocked drain. All the routine aggravations of house ownership in one week. If we were lucky enough to own another property it would be house maintenance times two.

No thank you.

I shall stick to dreaming and looking wistful, like so many displaced Celts before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment