Saturday 5 June 2021

All our Christmases came at once

 




One of the worst days of 2020 for me was when we decided to comply with the sudden rule change and not have the twins home for Christmas.  It wasn’t great for them either.  It meant that the last time the whole family had been together was a day in early October when we celebrated my birthday at Kew.

I tried to have a sense of proportion – as a family we haven’t suffered any Covid death. My work has decreased as a result of Covid, but Nigel and the children are all in jobs.  We’ve been very lucky.  But even so, I did miss seeing our children.

For me this has opened a window on the way WWII was for so many – feeling sad but determined not to grumble as it would be disrespectful to others who had sustained much greater losses.

However, although I had tried to cultivate a balanced outlook, when, finally, after eight months, we all got to spend the weekend together, it meant a great deal. 

Excellent weather gilded the weekend.  As we walked in the countryside, the hedgerows were at the peak of their loveliness with their lace trim of cow parsley and stitchwort, and beyond, the yellow rape flowers Van-Goghed the fields.

But I would have been happy, even if it had poured down.



No comments:

Post a Comment