Sunday 20 March 2022

Peaky Blinders Walk



Every weekday morning since March 2020 and First Lockdown, I have strode out of my house for a brisk two mile walk round the neighbourhood.  I don’t wear earphones and I don’t do errands, I  say hello to dogwalkers and joggers.   It’s good for my health, both physical and mental.

I am amazed how much wildlife I see in the ‘burbs, but even so, after two years, the ritual is a little weary.

I’m a big fan of Peaky Blinders and the new series inspired me to enliven my tired routine by using the Tommy Shelby walk - head down as if marching vigorously into a strong wind. 

Okay, I was wearing a cagoule so it wasn’t quite as visually striking as Shelby’s billowing great-coat…  And I had a bobble hat instead of a flat cap.

Unexpectedly, however, I spotted some things I wouldn’t normally – with my head lowered to face the coming storm, I saw the places where people had guerilla-gardened verges near their home.  I appreciated the optimistic tete-a-tete daffodils and the purple crocuses.

In reacting to the daffodils, I felt I should stay in character as Tommy Shelby but was unsure whether he would fully have appreciated the blooms.  

After long consideration, I adopted his gravelly voice and muttered ‘Look Arthur – effing flowers.’

 

No comments:

Post a Comment