Friday 24 June 2022

The right earrings for Hadrian's Wall

We are setting off today to walk the length of Hadrian's Wall. There will be hills and rough territory, sun and rain. 
We had to select the right hats, socks, coats. 
However, at the back of my mind buzzed a very important question.  Which earrings?
I could not ignore this crucial issue.  
Modest studs would have been the most practical. 
But ten whole days without any bling?
I settled on a pair of abalone pendants. They were handed to me by a stranger in a bag of scrap jewellery. The occasion was a Repair Fair where I was mending people's costume jewellery.
'I don't want this lot any more. Feel free to canibalise it.'
The abalone earrings reminded me of my very first pair, when I was eighteen, so are perfect for an adventure. 
They have probably spent years in some dusty drawer before being cast into a plastic bag and given away.
 I do hope they are as excited at the prospect of an expedition as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment