Monday 22 January 2024

Beating the January Blues


Having been ill over Christmas and then back at work before fully better, I'd got into a weird trogladitic existence where most of my time was either working at my desk, or resting up in bed. 
 My inbox alerted me to the fact that the Frans Hals exhibition at the National Gallery was finishing soon. 
I can remember that the first time I saw his Laughing Cavalier - it blew me away. I'd always wanted to see more Hals. What was I doing missing it? It was the final days though, so surely there would be no tickets.
However, I would try. 
And I got one!
The next problem was the freezing temperatures. Was this wise when I had been so unwell? 
But I donned a ridiculous furry hat and set off.
It was a timed ticket so I needed to catch a particular train.
The footpath to the station was blocked off for maintenance.
I backtracked and found another route. 
At the station the ticket machine was grudgingly unresponsive and I was out of time. 
But I encouraged myself to run over the footbridge and succeeded in jumping onto the train.
At the gallery I'd prepurchased an audioguide, but discovered on arrival I hadn't got the right phone equipment to access it. I felt stupid. 
But looking round, I could see others in the same position. It wasn't my fault! So I went and got my money back.

And great though it was to see Frans Hals' vivacious portraits and virtuoso brushwork,  the most nourishing thing about the day was overcoming all the tiny difficulties which nearly prevented me.
Now, like the laughing cavalier, I have a twinkle in my eye once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment