Monday 5 February 2024

The Cult of Beauty

We were meeting Perran and Carenza in London to celebrate their birthday.
But what would we do together? 
Nigel, Carenza and I were interested in  The Cult of Beauty exhibition at the Wellcome Collection. 
'No' said Perran, 'I've never liked the Wellcome Collection, ever since you took us there as kids. It smells weird and medical, and some of the exhibits are always gross.'
However, we failed to achieve consensus on anything else and ended up at the Wellcome. Surely an exhibition on Beauty would be fine!
I watched Perran steel himself at the entrance. In the exhibition he was breathing shallowly. In fact, I couldn't detect unpleasant smells and there was even an art installation which replicated the beauty potions made by mediaeval women and emitted scents of rose and herbs.
With beauty as the subject, many of the images were colourful and attractive. So far, so good.
We were nearly at the end of the exhibition, when it happened. My eye was caught by two jars of fluid containing round, peach-like objects. What were they? I looked closer. 
The photo above and the label informed me they were the surgically removed breasts of a trans man. Complete with tattoos.
Rapidly I moved on.
The weird thing was that afterwards, when we compared notes, the only other person who'd spotted this challenging exhibit was Perran. 
Sorry son. 
Happy birthday anyway!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment