Monday 17 June 2024

South Downs Way - Swift response


In several of the villages where we stopped we have heard a particular shrill bird call.
'Swifts!'
But although I'm pretty good at birds, I found I was mistaken. 
When I looked up, there were no scimitar winged swifts wheeling.
Yet if we returned via the same street later, I heard their calls again.
Finally I twigged. 
Each time, high on a house wall was a nest box.
Inside there must be a 'swift caller',  designed to attract these joyous summer visitors.
This happened to us five times during our nine day walk, but over the whole time I saw maybe only twenty swifts in all.
With these swift nest boxes, caring people are offering the birds hospitality, but is it too late?
Climate change and conditions in their wintering  places in Africa are also affecting the swift population.
The very beautiful village of Amberley was one where swifts were visible, wheeling and squealing, and also one where houses had swift nest boxes. There was a tall castle whose weathered walls rose behind the church, offering many convenient crevices.  I couldn't understand why the houses had swift boxes when the castle presented such a perfect nest site. 
Then I saw the reason.  Scaffolding.
The considerate inhabitants of Amberley were offering the swifts temporary accommodation while their historic residence was renovated.
Lets hope the swifts return there for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment