Monday 28 January 2013

Late Start

It isn’t a good start to the week.  I wake with a man talking to me about weather.  It is the Today Programme.  I should be up by now.  Nigel is getting dressed.  Even through sleep-bleared eyes, I detect hunched shoulders.

“Anything the matter?”

“Yes, last night, you rolled over, walloped me and growled, ‘Stop breathing.’”

I remember a long dream about a vixen in the garden making her distinctive call, arising in the realisation that it was, in fact, Nigel – not in the garden – in bed next to me.

“You were doing a really shrill snore.”

I should probably apologise for hitting him, but since I can’t remember it, don’t feel guilty – hooray for the powers of illogic!

And the twins!

I lumber up the stairs into the loft.  There is a Perran-shaped lump under the duvet where there should be flat vacancy.

“Up, now! Your paper round!”

Next, I grab the golf umbrella from its usual spot on the landing and enter Carenza’s lair.  She sleeps in a raised bunk, and it’s easier to stand below and prod her with something sharp.

She squeaks satisfyingly, but when I check later, she’s gone back to sleep.

I end up driving them to school and feeling guilty.   How will the week go on after a start like this? But returning home more slowly, I see that the sun is out, the grass is bright green after the snow, the birds are stirring excitedly in the trees.  My heart lifts.  Spring is nearly here.

No comments:

Post a Comment