Tuesday, 23 July 2013

What's Gok Wan got to do with my Degree?


At graduation I was surveying Pascoe’s friends and realised that although I knew they’d obviously obtained their degrees, otherwise they wouldn’t be there, I didn’t know how they’d done, so I asked Pascoe.  He replied,

“Kadija and Rebecca?  They both got Damians.”

“Damians?”

“Damian Hirst – first.”

“What about Josh?”  I ask.

“Oh, he got a Gok.”

I see – Gok Wan, two: one.

How extraordinary – cockney rhyming slang for the different types of degree.  I ask Pascoe if there are any others. 

“Yeah – there’s a Desmond - two: two….and then there’s a Douglas: that means a third, but I don’t know why.”

“Probably Douglas Hurd.  Is there one for a fail?”

“How about a Christian Bale?  Making it up as I go along now.”

I turn to the twins.

“So, is there rhyming slang for the different A2 grades?”

“No,” they chorus.

Then they frown and walk moodily away.

1 comment:

  1. Really extraordinary way! Anyway it is always interesting to know about someone`s achievements. It is clear that getting a diploma demands great efforts. Working on your coursework or dissertation usually takes all your mental and physical forces (personally I got coursework and dissertation reliable assistance online) But after all you feel such relief. However it is not always so important what is written in your diploma as some people will succeed and some will not, so it is just necessary to have some traits and maybe good luck. Now I understand that getting a diploma is only the beginning.

    ReplyDelete