Wednesday 21 November 2018

The Very Helpful Spider

The Daddy Long Legs Spider ( Pholcus phalangioides) is a thin, wispy creature, but do not underestimate it: it forms a lasso from its silk and traps large, scary house spiders by the leg. Then it eats them.

It is for this reason that I have been allowing Daddy Long Legs Spiders to remain in our house as non-paying lodgers.
However, recently I have hired some help with the cleaning and my little eight-legged pals have been decimated.
And now it is the autumn and the annual parade of large male house spiders is under way. They are strutting their (very long and hairy) legs in search of females.
This year they are so big I can hear them before I see them, scuttling across the floor. And there are a lot of them.
As I say I like to think there is an increase in numbers because of the diligence of my cleaning lady in killing their predators.
But this is because I don't want to contemplate the alternative - Are the males in fact being drawn to our house for a specific reason. Is there perhaps, under a sofa or behind a wardrobe, an incredibly attractive, very large female spider...Just waiting for the right guy to turn up so she can lay hundreds of eggs, which in turn will become hundreds of house spiders?

No comments:

Post a Comment