Monday 22 July 2019

ITALY TRIP - Not Waving, but Driving

When we hire a car abroad, Nigel drives and my task is to sit in the passenger seat and look appreciative. Unlike the 80% of the population who consider themselves above average drivers I know I am not.

Driving on the right is way too challenging a transposition for me.

On a past family holiday to Languedoc the children were reassuring and supportive. I should try out driving on the right.  I would be fine. 

I recall that it was next to a picturesque field of sunflowers with one wheel in a ditch that I gave in to their terrified pleas to let Nigel resume the wheel.

As we stayed in the Alpi Apua national park, there were plenty of winding Alpine roads for him to show his prowess.  I am very grateful as without him I would never have seen the Cave of the Winds, the monastery of Eremi di Calomini, or San Pellegrino where the mineral water comes from (in pic).

However, one thing saddened him. After slowing to allow a lorry loaded  with timber to pass or after accomplishing a cautious dosey doe with another car in a skimpy passing place, he would raise his hand in a British salute of thanks.  But Italian drivers would make no such manual acknowledgement.

To them the only thing we were signalling was that we didn't come from round here.

This was it. My time to be appreciative.

"Don't worry about them not waving Nigel.  I'm glad you have lovely driving manners."







No comments:

Post a Comment