Monday 29 July 2019

ITALY TRIP - Prepare to meet thy sushi.


Just when we were setting off on our Italy trip, Nigel suggested I buy something nice for lunch on the train.

I bought sushi.

But due to the palaver of packing, it never made it into the rucksack.

At times during the holiday, one of the offspring would ask me why I was looking thoughtful.

I was contemplating the sushi waiting for us in the fridge.  This dish whose essence was freshness would be three weeks old when we got home.

But I would not tell them of this dark secret.  It was not a pleasant image on which to dwell.

Instead: “Oh, I was just considering what memories I would take home from the holiday.”

And now that I’m on my way home, I know that the things I hope to treasure are the honeyed scents of jasmine and lime flowers; the shrill, excited call of swifts barrelling around an ancient square in Ravenna; the taste of truffles at il Pozzo; the sight of a thousand alpine flowers on the Giro del Diabolo footpath at San Pellegrino and the Giotto frescoes in the Scrovegni Chapel.

And together, they are very nearly beautiful enough to drive out the prospect of the three-week-old sushi in the fridge.

But not quite.



No comments:

Post a Comment