Thursday 1 April 2021

The End of the Social Drought


At times I have been so grateful to have Nigel’s companionship over this period of isolation, at others, I have wondered whether Rentokil ever deals with husbands.

A particular low point was the day when I was trying to write a short story at my desk close to the front door and Nigel decided he would fix the doorbell.  It involved testing the doorbell repeatedly over a long period.

I went into the hallway and said, ‘You know, yesterday I saw an interview with Margaret Atwood.  In 2019, she lost her partner of many years, Graeme.  It’s very sad and she clearly misses him….But do you know what she doesn’t miss at all?’

‘No?’ said Nigel, ‘What?’

‘Him playing with the bloody doorbell for hours on end.  Apparently it in no way helped her to win the Booker Prize.’

Leaving him with a thoughtful look on his face, I retreated back into the office.

But, for the time being at least, the social drought has ended and both the joys and the frustrations of one’s life partner will be diluted to safe levels by friends and family coming for a cuppa in the garden.  And probably a good thing too.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment