Wednesday 10 November 2021

The Return of Fun


Fun has come back, but frankly I’m not sure I’m ready for it.

For many months I have barely been into London except to participate in peaceful protests about climate change.

However, at the weekend, Carenza took me to a play at the Sam Wannamaker Theatre – the candlelit theatre next to the Globe.

What caused us to chance our health in this way?

The strapline – ‘Forget about Covid – Let’s have some Ovid.’

Years ago, I had taught Ovid to Carenza – my first Latin pupil - and now here was the chance to watch an imaginative retelling of some of his Metamorphoses – tales of shape-changing.

We hadn’t attended the Wannamaker before and its crowded benches are euphemistically described as ‘intimate’.  All the adults were wearing a mask, but even so…

However, when the play started, with its four talented actors changing roles faster than you could remove a hat, we were entranced.  For ninety minutes, we forgot all about Covid.

 

Afterwards, in buoyant mood, we strolled along the South Bank to Vaulty Towers where we had a table booked for dinner.  Old theatre sets made the interior of this pub fun, and it served only vegan barfood.  No wonder it was popular.  No wonder it was crowded….

Once again, I had to wrestle with my Covid fears.  Luckily my ‘Fun’ side won

 – and a good thing too as it has been leading rather a quiet life lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment