Monday 6 March 2023

Cross-dressing drama


 I was to meet Pascoe in Liverpool for a mother/son weekend.  I checked out the theatres.  Most were between shows.  Pascoe found some great stand-up, but it was fully booked.  Eventually we settled for The Everyman Playhouse – Death Drop 2 – back in the habit – a show featuring several well-known drag queens and set in a nunnery.  This didn’t really sound like high culture and I worried it might be so rude it made my hair stand on end.  However, I told myself it would be a new experience.

I was much more confident about the outing I had booked for Nigel and I just the evening before in London.  This was high-brow –a dramatisation of Plato’s Symposium at the Bloomsbury Theatre, put on by students of University College, London.  This was to be a philosophical dialogue about the nature of love.

However, when we got there, the cast of male philosophers was played entirely by young women who acted with gusto and humorous asides to engage the audience. 

Looking back, I think I laughed more at the cross-dressing Plato, but only because so many of the drag-queen references in Death Drop 2 whistled straight over my head.

And which was more educational?  Well, I learned quite a lot at each.  But in VERY different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment