Saturday 18 March 2023

I wanna thank you


On Saturday, Nigel and I listened to R4’s Saturday Live.  We particularly enjoy the ‘Thank you’ spot. This time it was about somebody who had slipped and broken their leg on a cliff path.  A passing hiker had stopped, rung for help and waited with them until the paramedics arrived. ‘At the time, I was just so relieved to be taken to hospital, I forgot to even ask your name.  But whoever you were, thank you.’

Later, we were walking in some quiet woods when we heard a piercing cry.  The gut-wrenching screaming went on and on.  It wasn’t quite human, but what on earth was it?  Whatever it was, it was in great distress, so we pushed our fear aside and hurried towards it.

At a fork in the path, a woman was holding tight to a labrador, restraining it.  Close by, a man was struggling with a large-mesh fence.  Stuck half way through the fence was a muntjac deer, a buck from his pronged antlers.  The dog had startled the deer into the fence and the animal was trapped and fighting with extraordinary strength and making that blood-curdling sound. 

Nigel helped in attempting to dislodge the terrified muntjac.  It was quite a wrestling match and as it finally came free, its antler caught Nigel’s hand causing three nasty gashes.  It bounded off into the undergrowth at top speed. 

The other couple thanked us profusely, but we wondered if we might ever hear from the deer – perhaps one day on Saturday Live…

‘I was in quite a hurry to get going, and I’m afraid I didn’t thank you properly.  And I’m so sorry - I think I may have accidentally caught your hand with one of my antlers.  Anyway, my freedom today is all down to you, and I just want to say Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment