We were looking forward to it when two days later, our friends Mark and Adri also invited us to an outdoor Romeo and Juliet. It was at Hitchin on Friday night.
Their daughter Thea had made the scenery and had enjoyed working with a vivacious, inclusive and green theatre company. However, neither Nigel nor I could face two open air productions of the same play back-to-back, so regretfully we turned down the second invitation.
On Saturday, we went along with Mark and Mary to The Living Theatre, Whitwell's Romeo and Juliet (which as I write is still showing). It was an enchanting venue with fields and woods lit by fairy lights. The acting was excellent, with Juliet and Mercutio particularly strong. The production was beautifully imagined with gorgeous Elizabethan cosumes in striking colours. The performance required the audience to walk through several beautiful twilight settings. The sets used natural wood frames and lengths of fabric very effectively to create both a ballroom and also a bedroom with balcony. In the background I could hear long-tailed tits and glimpse the edge of a badger sett.
On the train to London next day, I texted Adri, saying we were sorry to have missed Thea's production. Could she please send pics. The photos came through very slowly due to poor signal, but even before they resolved, I recognised the colours of the costumes from last night. This solved the mystery - Whitwell could loosely be described as in the Hitchin area. We had been at Thea's production after all and admired the great scenery she made without even knowing it was hers.
Which is good as it would have been a terrible shame to miss such a wonderful production.
Photos courtesy of the Osborns
No comments:
Post a Comment