Wednesday 1 January 2014

Janus

Janus is the Roman god of doorways.  He has two faces so that he can look both ways at once.  Hence the month of “January”, looking back at the old year, forward to the New Year. 
Looking back, it is incredible to me how much has changed so fast – this time last year, I had a house full of children.
Come to think of it, this time this year, I have a house full of children. 
We’ve been cosy – dammit, we’ve even roasted chestnuts on an open fire.
(Although, due to global warming, Jack Frost has not been nipping at our noses.) 
But it’s January, and the cold wind of change is blowing.  Over the next week and a half, Nigel will be back at work and I to my PGCE course, Pascoe to start his PhD in Edinburgh, Perran to his second term at Bristol, Carenza at Oxford.
I heard Cher on the radio this morning singing, “If I could turn back time…”
But, Cher, I’m here to tell you that you can’t.
So let’s look on the bright side:-
·         The vast and extended clothes-drying system which used to be known simply as “the landing” will become bright and spacious once more.
·         If I put something in the fridge, it will still be in the fridge next time I open the door and look for it.
·         Perran, Pascoe and Carenza will continue to make their perilous way home from late-night venues but, since I will know nothing about it, I shan’t have to worry.
Has this banished my regrets? 

‘Fraid not.  

No comments:

Post a Comment