Sunday 29 March 2020

Stir crazy

During the week, Nigel and I were both really busy rejigging our jobs to work from home. 
Boredom was not even a remote threat.

However, at the weekend, Nigel has been getting through his tasks in the house and garden at a rate of knots, and finding more unusual things to do.

I discovered him in the kitchen sifting through an entire sack of dove food* for coarse husks which might jam the mechanical feeder.

“Who asked you to do that?  It wasn’t somebody called Rumpelstiltskin was it?”

Surprisingly quickly, he had processed the entire sack and was stalking the garden. Presently, he put his head round the back door and asked,
“Can I have a drop of sunflower oil please?”

“Sure,” I said as I went to fetch it, “What do you need it for?”

“Oh – it’s for my butt – I want to put some in to stop the insects.”

I nearly dropped the bottle.

Seeing my face, he realised what he had said.

“I mean the water butt – a drop of oil on the surface of the water means gnat larvae can’t breathe and die out.”

“Ah.  OK.”

…I wonder what he will get up to next.

*If you’re wondering what the difference is between dove food and pigeon food, it is that the person who sold it to us crossed out the word ‘pigeon’ on the label and sharpied ‘dove’.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment