Thursday 2 May 2013

The Right College


On the roof at Girton College
So the Cambridge Faculty of Education accepted me to study for a PGCE in Classics, and one of the half dozen forms I have to fill in asks me which college I would like to apply to.  (Unlike undergraduate applications to Oxbridge, for PGCE, the college is secondary. )

What a wonderful opportunity to apply again to my old college, Girton.  As a girl from a far less than privileged background, Girton  gave me a chance and nurtured me. 

I still occasionally dream that I am ascending a particularly romantic spiral staircase in a corner of the college, my hand on the smooth banister.  I have a feeling of anticipation, but I can’t tell you whether it is a social occasion that my dream-self is headed for, or a session in the library devouring some new subject.

Carried away by loyalty and nostalgia, I write down “Girton” on my form.

Later I receive an email declaring acceptance.

That’s good.

Later still, I ring up  the Faculty of Education to check one or two items.  For instance, I plan to continue to live with my family and to make a long drive to and from the Faculty each day.

“How do I book a car-parking space?”

“Oh – that’s not through the Faculty of Education, that’s through your college.”

Girton College is around four miles distant from the Faculty.

I put down the phone.

Help!

 

When there are so many old stories of magic in West Cornwall, surely there must be something in it.

Drolls and Weirds, a romantic historical mystery will soon be available via this website.

1 comment:

  1. So let us know. How do you like you the Cambridge Faculty of Education? The reason why I am asking is because I get to hear a lot that the quality of education has been lowered significantly and students all over the US are noticing it. I cannot say I am happy to hear that. So I am just curious if it is every like that or there are some exceptions. Hopefully all went well with your parking lot)
    Ali for Education Papers from Essay Online Store Service

    ReplyDelete