Wednesday 5 June 2013

Surreal Exam Tips


One more piece of exam advice from those I collected earlier – Don’t Become Surreal.

Reality has already become distorted with weeks of revision, the occasional “break-out” party that went too far, and the stress of exams.  Just don’t lose your grip altogether.

One young friend when faced with a university exam, simply blacked out.  It would be a better story if she had come round to find that her right hand had written the exam for her while she was unconscious….but unfortunately, it hadn’t.

When I was still a schoolgirl, my history-teacher father marked ‘O’ Level papers in the summer holidays and I remember him marching into the sitting room brandishing an exam script:

“Just look at this!”

A boy plainly bored to the end of endurance by parliamentary reforms had instead written the story of the Odyssey, an episode for each question.  I remember a sketch of a sharp-prowed Greek ship.  At the end, he had written, “I don’t like history, but I do like Odysseus.”

My father was clearly itching to “pass” this boy.

Kathy Hobson, however, seems creatively to have managed simultaneously to answer the exam question while pursuing her own agenda:

“French O level - French composition part was supposed to be based on a cartoon strip in the booklet showing a bald man buying a baguette. I decided to write it as - 'A day in the life of Mussolini.'

Bravo.

Get Regular updates from My Moon-Shot

Like our Facebook Fan Page and receive notification of new posts:https://www.facebook.com/MyMoonShot

 

Drolls and Weirds - Robert had heard stories of beautiful fairy children reared by humans - they were called changelings - But of course, he did not believe in them. Read the latest chapter of my story of love and mystery set in Cornwall by clicking here. Or read from the start.

1 comment: